[opendtv] Re: Half Truths - Was More 1080p@60

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 10:14:46 -0500

At 3:19 PM -0500 12/8/07, Albert Manfredi wrote:
Craig Birkmaier wrote:

 If we had switched to 60 fps for DTV, it would be necessary to have
 a conversion box to feed the NTSC transmitter at 59.94.

That was exactly my point, although of course I was assuming that the 60 Hz issue continues to exist. Cliff disagrees. If the issue doesn't exist anymore, then ATSC already allows for 24/30/60, so it would be up to broadcasters and networks to stop using the odd rates in production. Same sort of thing which also applies to interlace over ATSC (or DVB-T). When its reason for existing goes away, essentially with CRTs, it can simply be dropped.

I did not interpret Cliff in this way, but it raises an interesting question:

Do the legacy NTSC receivers that are still in use have the ability to lock up to a source stream that is broadcast at 60 Hz rather than 59.94 Hz?

If the answer is yes, then we should have abandoned 59.94 at the BEGINNING of the DTV transition.

Has anyone ever tried this with 60Hz source?

If receivers are/were NOT the problem, then broadcasters are the problem. The question then becomes, will modern broadcast gear lock up to a 60Hz reference?

 Apparently nobody in this thread fully understand the problem

Whether that's true or not, I would say that apparently no one was considering *why* the odd rates were being retained, until Cliff yesterday, responding to my post. I saw a lot of careful explaining how inconvenient the odd rates are in production, which is not in dispute. Cliff seems to believe that there is no reason to retain the rates even for analog transmission, so of course that would change things. But again, ATSC does not mandate their use. It just allows it.

There were many discussions about this when the standard was being developed. SOme people suggested that we could switch after the transition. But I have heard noting more about this since.

 So once again Bert, thanks for giving this proposal the "incredible"
 designation!

Always happy to oblige!

:-)