[opendtv] Re: HFR first impressions (no spoilers other than technical)

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 18:04:22 -0500

I was looking for that information because I had not found a website which explains

the process until after posting my questions, here:
http://www.thehobbit.com/hfr3d/faq.html

48 Hz is fast enough for film, although I wonder if the electronic projection
system blinks twice for each 48 Hz frame?

I've now read that 'The Hobbit' will be shown theatrically in several formats,
not only the HFR electronic version.
Still not certain if any of the others are film.

Thanks for your reply.

Cliff

On 12/13/2012 2:43 AM, Olivier Houot wrote:

It was an electronic projection. HFR would not be available in film
form, as far as i know, that would need rather exotic hardware for the
show.

It was in a 50 Hz country (a SECAM one, until recently,  to be more
specific :-). Do you ask the question because you feel 48 fps may be
perceived as not quite enough in 60 Hz countries? Or because people are
more used to get smooth film motion in any circumstance in 50 Hz
territory ? (within the limits of 24 or 25p, that is).

Cliff Benham wrote:

Thanks for this information.

Is this a 'film' theatre presentation or electronic projection and is
it
in a "PAL" country?