[opendtv] Re: HDradio?

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 19:55:02 -0500

I think HD radio performance depends a lot on how close you are to the signal source.

I have an HD radio in the car and can't get any AM or FM reception out in the country where I live, 39 miles from Philadelphia and 52 from Baltimore. When I drive toward Philly, I begin to get good reception when I'm within 15 miles of the city. The AM reception is not good anywhere I drive.

For me, HD radio does not begin to measure up to standard AM and FM radio reception in the car or at home in the country.

On the interstate across Pennsylvania nothing beats XM-Serius.

One other complaint I have about HD AM radio is that its digital sidebands prevent me from listening to some distant AM stations I used to pickup easily with a high quality hi-fidelity McIntosh radio tuner. These distant stations are now blanked out by the noise of the local digital AM sidebands.
Can I complain to the FCC about this?

Cliff

On 12/4/2012 4:58 PM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Takashi Tome wrote:

I'm looking for some info about HDradio, but I'm not finding
anything useful, or new.

Hi Takashi. You can get useful information from the Ibiquity web site.

http://www.ibiquity.com/

There used to be two white papers on that site, one that describes how it works
in the FM band and another describes the AM band design. In a quick look, I
didn't see those papers there anymore. But maybe I didn't look in the right
place.

I'd like to have some info like:

1) How is HDradio signal strenght at real life?

Very good. I have a stereo HD Radio receiver at home, made by Sangean, and I
have a tiny little portable receiver that I can use in the car. It plugs into
the miniphone jack on the car radio (the one used often for iPods and such). I
tried the radio in the car, even on the subchannels, and reception was very
good. And it would be far better if they used HD Radio in non-hybrid mode,
where signal strength could go much higher. But even as is, it works very well.

2) Does HD signal interfere on adjacent analog stations?

Not that I ever noticed. And that's part of the "problem." In hybrid mode, the
digital signal uses the guard bands of the analog signal from that same station. That's
why the digital signal strength has to be suppressed. If I remember correctly, in the FM
band, it has to be a full 23 dB below that analog signal's ERP. Which is substantial.

3) How does HD perform at LPFM stations?

Don't know.

4) How happy are the users?

Personally, very happy with it. A decent number of car companies are starting
to offer it, but mostly I listen to it at home. Audio quality is excellent,
very much like very good FM analog. Which makes any AM station that uses HD
Radio stunningly better than its analog signal. But of course, for AM, it is
limited to daytime only. In hybrid mode in the AM band, it takes up an
incredible 30 KHz of bandwidth. In non-hybrid mode in  the AM band, it takes up
no more than 10 KHz, and it would definitely make the AM band useful again. As
opposed to the band-limited, muffled garbage you get now on AM analog.

5) Did HD upped stations audience?

Don't know. It should have, clearly, but as usual in the US, CE companies seem
to go after what is in the best interests of the monthly subscription schemes.
So for example, GM cars offer satellite radio receivers as standard equipment
(GM is part owner of XM Radio), and yet they seem totally incompetent at
offering HD Radio even as an extra cost option. Odd that such a simple idea has
escaped them for what, about 10 years now?