[opendtv] Re: HDTV-compatible PC display interface emerges

  • From: "Silvio Macedo" <s.macedo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 13:07:13 -0000

[quote]
> High Definition is not just about higher display quality, but=20
> also about content protection.=20
> The UDI therefore will also include an optional integration=20
> of HDCP (High Definition Content=20
> Protection) to ensure content companies that their content is=20
> protected from piracy.
[end quote]
> Best,=20
> -- Jeroen

HANA and UDI seem to complement each other, and, hopefully, will not
compete in any point of the chain, but will their DRM be forced upon
us and will it interoperate well with non-aligned manufacturers?

I am mostly worried with two things:
- successful DRM technologies are proprietary, as it seems to be the
case in the music industry;
- understandably, there are little or no standardization and hardware
development efforts without money-making DRM strings attached.

Does this mean that in order to have high quality, integrated CEs at
home, one will have to necessarily comply with manufacturers' demands
and business models? Will this mean the end of the "IBM-Compatible"
open model?=20

This is what I found:
http://www.intel.com/technology/computing/pix/03_big.gif
http://www.intel.com/technology/computing/hw12031.htm

Direct Transmission Content Protection* or DTCP, is a protocol
developed by Hitachi, Intel, Matsushita, Sony, and Toshiba. DTCP
provides protected transmission of audio/video content as it travels
between digital devices over high-speed networks such as the IEEE 1394
standard. DTCP enables seamless content exchange between authenticated
devices in the home through an encrypted exchange of content and copy
control information (CCI). Through collaboration with content
providers such as Warner Brothers and others, this technology is
likely to be a cornerstone of expanding digital home entertainment.
http://www.4centity.com/

Intel also developed the High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection*
(HDCP) specification to protect digital entertainment content across
the DVI interface. It connects PCs and other devices to digital
displays and contributes to safe, flexible, portable use of digital
content.
http://www.dtcp.com/

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/1816/industry_leaders_announce
http://www.udisigwebsite.com/
UDI is targeted to become the new display interface for desktop PCs,
workstations, notebook PCs and PC monitors, replacing the aging VGA
analog standard and providing guidelines to ensure compatibility with
today=92s DVI standard. Further, as planned, the UDI specification will
be fully compatible with HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface),
the standard digital interface for High Definition TVs (HDTVs) and
advanced CE displays.

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/1837/proposed_new_interface
http://www.hanaalliance.org/
HANA's goal is to create standards-based solutions to facilitate
commercial deployment of connected products and services that will
enhance the consumer HD entertainment experience. To achieve this,
HANA will work with its member companies and organizations such as the
Consumer Electronics Association, the 1394 Trade Association,
CableLabs, the Motion Picture Association of America and others to
ensure that its solutions meet the needs of all stakeholders,
including consumers. Those needs include ensuring HANA products will
stream high definition A/V content and related services, simply and
reliably throughout the home without compromising the rights of
content owners or those of the consumer.

Silvio

http://www.siliconimage.com/news/press/detailpressrelease.aspx?id=3D340=20