[opendtv] Re: HDTV DVB-T receiver for the UK

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 12:50:07 -0500

Bert,

This is exactly what I was screaming about in 1999.  If the OTA DTV signal
were easily received by fixed omnidirectional antennas, then the DBS
companies could free up an entire satellite's worth of transponder space by
dropping local-into-local coverage and adding an ATSC tuner in their STBs.

The point is they did try with the 1st generation HD-DBS/ATSC boxes like the
RCA DTC-100, but the experiment failed miserably.  It may have worked much
better with COFDM (at least I think so.)  Maybe they'll try again with 5th
gen chipsets.

However, after a broadcaster gets to full power and full antenna height
(like we are) then there is nothing else we can do as a broadcaster to make
our signal 'more reliable.'  We are at the mercy of LG/Zenith and others to
build better receivers.  I mean, it's not like we could back off our bitrate
to increase receivability...

Cheers,

John Shutt