[opendtv] HDTV? Clearly Confusing

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient: ;
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 07:37:11 -0400

HDTV? Clearly Confusing
A CRT Satisfies, But Accessories Run Up the Bill

By Jim Hawk
Special to The Washington Post
Sunday, August 29, 2004; Page F01

All I wanted to do was buy a new high-definition television --
without putting a high-definition dent in my bank account. After
years of watching on the sidelines, I had decided I was ready to go
shopping when my cable provider, Comcast, began offering more than a
dozen high-def channels as well as the ability to record them for
later viewing.

With my I'm-not-gonna-pay-a-lot-for-this-HDTV mantra, I had to throw
out thoughts of fashionable, pricey plasma and LCD sets. My choices
quickly narrowed  to the relatively cheap but absolutely unstylish
CRT, or cathode-ray tube. And since most retailers carried only two
or three CRT high-def sets, shopping was relatively easy.

I went with Sony's KD-34XBR960, a 34-inch set that sold for -- gulp
-- $2,200 but was described in reviews as the best picture at any
price. (Budget-minded buyers can spend as little as $700 for an HD
set.)

My HD programming would come through Comcast's cable box that
included a digital video recorder, and that cost nothing upfront and
added just $9.95 a month in rental fees. But since that recorder
could hold only about seven hours of HD programming, I wanted a way
to archive copies of the best shows. Here, the only option was a
D-VHS machine, a box using a high-grade version of the venerable tape
format for recording and playback (a few movies and documentaries are
available on D-VHS).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40786-2004Aug28.html