[opendtv] Re: HDTV Buyer's Guide 2008

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 12:14:32 -0500

Adam Goldberg wrote:

> 1080i panel info:
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=alis+1080i

Did you have any particular site in mind? I see lots of the same
confusion in the few I tried.

The one *possible* excuse for writing 1080i is the vertical interlace
scheme of some displays, where the 1920 pixels are painted in two groups
of 960. It's a stretch to call that 1080i. Maybe 1920i makes more sense.

Most of the time, all 1080i seems to mean is that the input signal, e.g.
HDMI, cannot reach 1080 at 60p. If I decipher the confused marketese
correctly.