[opendtv] Re: HDR upconversion

  • From: Jeroen Stessen <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2016 19:17:03 +0200

Hi,

On 2016-06-12 17:11, Craig Birkmaier wrote:

It is far from clear that HDR will play any significant role in OTA
broadcasting, although in time this may become desirable. Thus the notion of
simulcasting and backward compatibility may not be relevant,

The broadcasters would beg to differ. When in doubt, bet on backward compatibility. Get the benefits without the penalty. That way the early adopters can play with HDR, while the majority of SDR receivers still get a signal that has not changed much.

Clearly Netflix is not going to simulcast; their servers will deliver a stream
optimized for the device they are connecting to.

Ah, but are they going to store all different versions on their servers ? Server space is costly too. Our algorithm is simple enough to apply it on the fly, or to off-load it to a half-decent (HDR) receiver. You won't need 2 simultaneous MPEG decoders as in a layered system.

I would also note the reality that creating the metadata for HDR tone mapping
is a labor intensive task, requiring the skills of a colorist or other
technician. Jeroen notes that this can even be done with live programming;
perhaps this task can be added (automated) as part of the camera shading
process still employed in the TV industry.

I should point out one important condition: the content has already been graded well for HDR, the storytelling has been done. Then adjusting the tone mapping from HDR to SDR (and back) is not too difficult. We have ways of making it easy. Come and see.

Regards,
-- Jeroen