[opendtv] Re: HD-DVD Loses Round One

  • From: Olivier Houot <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 00:57:09 +0100

Jeroen Stessen wrote :

All this bullshit about the right to make "backups", copies
for the car, downsampled copies for the portable media player,
it is not true. The only reason for making copies is for
giving them away or for trading. A bit of undefeatable copy
protection goes a long way for reading people their rights.

I respectfully disagree, Jeroen.

I played a lot with transfers of video clips from VCDs or DVDs i own to my PDA,
that i use as a portable video player from time to time. This is nice for trips
in the train, for example.

For that i have to ripp the material, downsample to 320 *240 (at least on my
former PDA), reencode to low bitrate Divx with ogg vorbis sound, and wrap the
result in an .ogm container.

If i had to go through the original disc rights owner they would :
- introduce a delay before delivering the file
- charge me for something i have already payed
- problably not do it exactly the way i want
- probably refuse any format that has anything to do with open source

By doing things myself i can :
- convert something in minutes at 3 o'clock in the morning if i please
- redo it immediately if the result is not exactly what i expected
- chose any format that i please
- pay nothing more than i already have
- feel free
- take full advantage of the magic of the digital revolution instead of being
prisonner of a crippled contraption
- do away with the unacceptable additional processor power consumption involved
in the decryption of the streams (in my former PDA just decoding the video and
audio was at the very limit of its capabilities)

By the way my VCD with the best picture quality is a Star Trek VI issued by
Philips at the very beginning of the CDI-FMV format. It's completely non
standard so i can't copy it at all , nor watch it on a DVD player. Only the
original CDI-FMV player will take it. Very good protection indeed.When that
player breaks down the contents of that disc will be completely unreadable for
me. I certainly regret that (Ok, i will probably own a Blu-ray version by that
time...)

I also like to toy with the idea that digital theoretically allows for the
preservation of data for eternity (or a good fraction of it anyway) . But if a
future archeologist stumbles upon a pack of DVDs or HD-DVD, he will get no
chance of making sense of the bits , even if he has heard about MPEG, because
of those damnable, key-protected encryption schemes. And so the artistical
productions of our time will be lost. It will probably be even worse for those
people to know that the data is there , intact, but they simply can't access it.