[opendtv] Re: HD-DVD Loses Round One

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:15:40 -0500

John Golitsis wrote:

> But YOU are the owner in your example. If you let rent your house
> for one weekend, would you mind if they copied the key and let
> themselves in and out as they pleased after the weekend? Could
> they claim it was *their* home because they paid you to use it?
>
> Then they make more copies and hand them out to their friends.

Yes, that's a valid argument. If you assume that buying a DVD is like
renting a movie, i.e. not much different from getting the DVD at
Blockbuster. I dunno if that's the way I understand ownership of a DVD,
or a book, or a painting, but okay.

Jeroen also makes a valid point. A Ferrari would not be such a prized
possession if any Tom, Dick, and Harry were able to duplicate it.

Jeroen wrote:

>> There should absolutely never be a way for a TV station to
>> successfully transmit "copy never." It's very simple. So why do
>> CE manufacturers, including Philips, allow this illegal
>> behavior?
>
> I think that it can be summed up as "erring on the safe side of
> the law". A time shift is interpreted as a copy, to avoid law
> suits from content providers. Silly CE software designers...

The law here doesn't work that way. You can't take away personal rights
just because a small minority out there might be crooks. You don't take
away free speech just because maybe some people are liars.

The CE companies are simply taking the path they think will risk them
less expense, and in doing so are helping to take away our rights. That
is why I suggested that the FCC, or whoever would enforce this, should
levy enormous fines on broadcasters who use "copy never," or on CE
companies who design products which prevent time shift recording. Then
the monetary risk would be balanced.