[opendtv] Re: HD vs. 625 vs. 525 vs. 405

  • From: Terry Harvey <tjharvey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:25:25 -0700

The London station was built in 1935/36. The expansion of the service was
post world war 2 when Kell's work was accepted.  Because the expansion was
based on the prewar vision-sound carrier spacings, the Kell criterion was
ignored for the whole existence of 405.

Afterall, if for 405 the Kell criterion was acknowledged after the war,
there would have been more bandwidth available for expansion, but the
change of vision-sound carrier spacing would have complicated the legacy
receiver situation.