[opendtv] Re: HD vs. 625 vs. 525 vs. 405

  • From: Terry Harvey <tjharvey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 07:13:26 -0700

Maybe I applied the term Kell too loosely. And there are other facors which
made 405 pictures look sharp.

Because the horizontal scan velocity was slower, it was more easilly
handled by an early amplifier chain in terms of frequency response and
phase response.  Before the 405 closure, I made VHS recordings of the
signal and when displayed it looks almost 'broadcast' quality. Also note
the extended bandwidth given to the video channel as the Kell factor was
never applied to 405 systems.

Terry Harvey