[opendtv] Re: HD phobia in the Frozen North

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 11:44:59 -0800

Heard any Canadian rap lately or ever?  Even the Spanish-language world has
reggaeton, which is rap en Espanol on steroids and speed (metaphorically),
and often with more than 120 beats per second.

One cannot preserve culture -- except in an archive in a museum -- but
simple fact has never dissuaded the Canadian culture vultures from their
assigned rounds.

Canada's 'issues' here aren't symmetrical with those in Spanish-language
countries, where language is the barrier to direct assumption of American
culture.

Along with NIMBY (not in my backyard) and BANANA (build absolutely nothing
near anything at all) one needs to add a new acronym: COVE (citizens opposed
to virtually everything.)

John Willkie