[opendtv] Re: HD for All alliance steps up campaign

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 15:32:14 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Barry is quite right.
>
> A cost of buying a Freeview box is roughly equivalent to
> buying two DVD movies, which will typically be watched a
> few times then shelved.

Except that's circular reasoning.

We have been down this trail already, and the simple facts are that the
cost of manufacturing an ATSC box is barely higher than a DVB-T box, all
royalties included. The best guess is that the ATSC box might cost $5.00
more in royalties, for the demod. That aside, the HD capability (which
may not be required in some cases) becomes small potatoes when produced
in mass.

All it took was volume. Built-in, we have seen these ATSC receivers
retail for $40, and that's only the ones that could be compared easily
(in the upcoming DVDRs). I'll bet in mass produced TV sets today, the
delta is even less.

So this cost difference argument is not very convincing.