[opendtv] HD Radio tuner for stereo systems

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 21:44:44 +0000

I had said: "FWIW, I discovered that Sangean (and Sony) already discontinued my
stereo HD Radio tuner, without offering a replacement."

Take it back. I just wasn't looking at the right place, and wasn't reading
beyond the manufacturer's literature.

Sangean makes the WFT-1 (that's WFT, not WTF) tuner. NAD makes the C 446 tuner
(which costs about the same as my PC!!). Grace makes the GDI-IRDT200 tuner.
There may be others. These are all tuners, meant to be used with a sound
system, they can receive AM and FM, and they are all also Internet radios (aka
WiFi radios). There are probably others. Grace and Sangean tuners are priced
about the same as AM/FM stereo tuners of times past.

For the European market, they can also receive DAB+. What the Sangean
literature doesn't tell you is, it also receives HD Radio, in the US version
anyway, if one is to believe the customer comments. They seem to use an
Internet radio aggregation service, to give the user a global list of radio
stations. I believe Sangean uses Frontier Silicon:

http://www.wifiradio-frontier.com/setupapp/fs/asp/AuthLogin/SignIn.asp

My wide was desperate to find some fun toy Santa could bring this year. Looks
like we've got one.