[opendtv] Re: HD DVR for the antenna crowd

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 19:01:20 -0500

Kon Wilms wrote:

> Pity your UI and feature set is lackluster, guys. An
> Echostar DVR in any amount of sheep's clothing is still
> no Tivo!

I don't own either TiVo or the Echostar DTT DVR, but I sort of
understand why these GUIs are so simple and basic. You should see the
one in my new Philips.

Not that I mind in the least, don't get me wrong.

I believe the problem stems from the fact that as things are today, PSIP
is fairly thoroughly inadequate for a PVR's needs. In principle, a DTT
PVR should be a piece of cake, right? But a PVR has to be able to be
programmed ahead of time, and it has to be able to keep time within at
least one minute.

With PSIP only giving the programs for the rest of that same day, or
perhaps until 1:30 AM the next morning, and with stations' PSIP times
being all over the map, scheduling recording sessions by means of a
fancy PVR GUI is all but impossible. So the best way to design DTT PVRs
is to make them strictly "straight stick," as the Philips is.

Amazing. It should be so easy. PSIP, if it only worked as it's supposed
to, would give PVR software designers all the flexibility they need, to
build the coolest GUI they can think up. Conspiracy theorists would
surely attribute this to a death wish for OTA TV broadcasting.