[opendtv] HD Ad Distribution Up 50 Percent in 2011

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:18:05 -0500

There you go. I didn't think I was making this up. HD ads are becoming
commonplace.

A minor nit:

"The firm said that a year ago, HD ads comprised about 10 percent of all TV
commercials delivered to broadcast and cable networks. The ratio is now 20
percent, ER's latest ad trend report found."

If the ratio of HD ads goes up from 10 to 20 percent, I would call that 100
percent growth, in one year. Just saying.

And this time, the description of this 20 percent figure is clearer than last
time around. It seems to me that we can't expect a whole lot of growth beyond
20 percent, unless MVPDs and broadcasters make a habit of downresing ads when
transmitting them? Are HD channels more than 20 percent of the total these
days, across all TV media?

http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/122706

HD Ad Distribution Up 50 Percent in 2011
07.20.2011.

NEEDHAM, MASS.: High-definition TV ads have increased by 50 percent over the
last six month according to market researcher Extreme Reach. The firm said that
a year ago, HD ads comprised about 10 percent of all TV commercials delivered
to broadcast and cable networks. The ratio is now 20 percent, ER's latest ad
trend report found.

"The increase over the last two quarters is particularly significant because
growth in HD advertising was much slower in 2010," ER said.

The company said it found that the most significant hurdles to HD
adoption--cost, coverage and complexity-- were being reduced by recent industry
shifts. E.g., the use of cloud-based distribution and an increase in the
adoption of HD at the local level. ER said the complexity of HD ad management
has also been reduced by automation and digital delivery.

"Advertisers had been in a holding pattern for a while when it came to HD,"
said John Roland, CEO of Extreme Reach. "The Q2 numbers re-affirm what we've
heard from advertisers for a while: When key industry hurdles to adoption
become less pronounced, you'll see more and more HD ads on TV.

"A 50 percent increase in deliveries over the past six months is a significant
jump. It demonstrates that advertisers both recognize the benefits of HD
advertising and are now able to realize those benefits to a greater degree."

-- Television Broadcast