[opendtv] Re: HBO Go

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 07:26:56 -0400

On Mar 15, 2014, at 8:21 PM, Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>>
>> This is just the sale of individual shows that originally were
>> exclusive to HBO. These episodes are also sold on iTunes, and
>> most are available on DVD.
>
> I don't know the answer to this, but it seems to me that the important
> question is whether the HBO shows available at Amazon are current episodes,
> or retreads. They charge rates similar to iTunes, which sounds kind of steep,
> but if you're only interested in a few HBO shows, it could still be a good
> deal, compared with MVPD subscription plus premium tier.

The answer is as I stated. Theses are all shows produced by HBO, in addition to
the movies and special events (concerts, boxing, etc) that fill the HBO
channels. Here is what Wiki says about this:
> Many HBO programs have been syndicated to other networks and broadcast
> television stations (usually after some editing), and a number of
> HBO-produced series and films have been released on DVD. Since HBO's more
> successful series (most notably shows such asSex and the City, The Sopranos,
> The Wire, Entourage, Six Feet Under, Boardwalk Empire,Game of Thrones and
> True Blood) air on over-the-air broadcasters in other countries (such as in
> Canada, Australia and much of Europe – including the United Kingdom), HBO
> programming has the potential of exposure to a higher percentage of the
> population of those countries compared to the United States. Because of the
> cost of HBO (which is the most expensive of the U.S. premium services,
> costing a monthly fee as of 2014 between $16.99 and $19.99 depending on the
> provider), many Americans only view HBO programs through DVDs or in basic
> cable or broadcast syndication – months or even years after these programs
> have first been broadcast on the network – and with editing for both content
> and to allow advertising, although several series have filmed alternate
> "clean" scenes intended for syndication runs.

>> If Amazon is carrying current episodes, then this shows the crack in that
>> armor. I noticed that Netflix is not in this club,

Bert

Please understand that this is how the content congloms, including new players
like Netflix work. Content has a life cycle through which it travels, typically
for years.

First run is the most profitable - highly acclaimed first run programming is
used to attract audiences; in the case of the broadcast networks this drives
ratings, and helps them promote other network programs. In the case of HBO and
Netflix, these first run shows attract paying subscribers. At this point in the
content life cycle it's all about exclusivity.

Next the programming may enter the rerun phase. At one time, most broadcast TV
series produced between 20 to 26 episodes per season. These shows ran first in
the fall and winter, then they were run a second time in the Spring and Summer.
It became too expensive to create this many episodes per season; the average is
now about 13 per season, and reruns are used more often to fill the broadcast
schedule. HBO original series are typically offered in multiple time slots when
they are "fresh." And they often use these shows to support subscription
drives. When The Sapranos were a huge hit, cable systems would make the network
available to all subscribers for a week or two, to try to get people hooked and
subscribe.

Next the programs are released as anthologies on DVD. These anthologies
typically cover a single season on multiple discs and sell for about $50. They
appeal to collectors, but primarily to the rental market.

And finally they go into syndication both on cable channels and for the
international markets (cable and broadcast.

There are no chinks in the armor here, just business as usual.even Netflix does
this- the first season of the Netflix original series House of Cards is now
available on DVD.