[opendtv] Re: H.264 AVC or VC1[ wm9 ]

  • From: John McClenny <jamcclenny@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 06:53:42 -0600

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 11:40:23 +0530, Prashant Desai
<prashant.desai@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello All
>    are there any broadcasters who already have announced that they are going
> with H.264 AVC or VC1 ?
> is vc1 accepted as a standard by broadcasters and content providers [studios
> etc ? ] .
>
>    I am sure there will be many content providers who must be planning for
> these advanced codec's  since it saves lots of their bandwidth and thus the
> cost  .........but  just curious to know if there are any who already have
> announced anything on this ? since as of now it's difficult to decide whether
> to go with MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 part 10/VC1   ?  coz as per my understanding its
> difficult to get the contents in any of the advanced codec's MPEG-4 part 10 /
> VC1 ]  ? isn't it ?

The content you get is going to be MPEG-2 for a while and you will
need to transcode it to either AVC or VC-1.  These real-time encoders
for these formats are not quite ready for production use now, but
should be within the next 6 months or so.

The choice of advanced codecs doesn't matter much - that is more of a
business decision than a technical one.

Doc