[opendtv] Re: Google's Page: White spaces test was unfair

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 18:35:32 -0700

Your question is vague -- suggesting that you are not used to asking or
answering engineering questions.

Do you mean to ask if wireless microphones are allowed to use tv
frequencies?  The answer is yes.

If you meant to ask if a wireless microphone is permitted to use the same
frequency as that occupied by a local full service TV station, the answer is
no.

However, who can use such microphones, the list is somewhat narrow, but not
as narrow as the rules at the beginning of the 1980's, when they were
strictly limited to television station licensees.  Back in those days,
stations could only use the same frequency for wireless mics (within
studios) as occupied by their broadcast transmitter.

John Willkie