[opendtv] Re: Google's Page: White spaces test was unfair

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 18:17:09 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> Are wireless microphones allowed to operate on the same frequencies
> as local TV channels?

Wouldn't work too well, because the broacast signal would soon overpower
the mike's signal.

The article was very confused. I don't know if Google was confused, or
whether the author was confused. After re-reading it, I think both were.

The risk to wireless mikes is that when they operate over a white space,
the drunken fans in the stadium will be lighting up their little new
toys. These new toys would be designed to detect broadcast channels in
use by broadcasters, but might not so easily auto-detect the much weaker
signal from the mikes in the stadium, trying to operate over that unused
frequency slice. So they could (and do, I gather) end up interfering
with the mikes.

This is similar to the problem these devices create in apartment
buildings, for example. Where the white space device might be turned on
in a small dead zone for a given TV signal, and we all know these do
exist indoors, and end up obliterating the already weakened broadcaster
signal in nearby apartments.

I did the numbers. At 1 watt output supposedly to be allowed, this is a
definite possibility.