[opendtv] Re: Google's Page: White spaces test was unfair

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 09:03:39 -0700

The licenses aren't a formality.  When there is an interference complaint,
the licensed user gets to see the unlicensed user issued a "Notice of
Apparent Liability."  If they don't pay it, the Department of Justice takes
them to court and sees it removed from their hide.

Churches and trade show hawkers can use wireless mics limited to 100 mw, and
use unused FM radio channels.  (You actually don't know what frequencies
they use by listening.)

There are several manufacturers that have marketed -- and sold to unlicensed
users -- 950 mHz wireless microphones.  Companies like "Shure" and
"Sennheiser" and less well-known brands.  These frequencies are the
exclusive province of auxiliary links for FM radio stations (their only
exclusive band).  There is an argument that the vendors are moving the 700
mHz users of which you speak to these previously allocated channels.

You can expect the FCC to issue significant fines -- multiple millions of
dollars aren't out of the question -- to the vendors, users and
manufacturers/importers in the next phase.

Just a formality, of course.

John Willkie