[opendtv] Re: Google's Page: White spaces test was unfair

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 21:44:23 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> I don't want to harp on this much since I don't have much
> knowledge of wireless mike usage and also had no
> interest until now. But, aside from squatters rights, do
> wireless mikes have any legal claim to the white spaces
> over wireless something else? That is, why are they
> enough of an issue they can dictate policy?
>
> Should I care about them? Or are they just another issue
> created by the broadcasters lobby as part of the spectrum
> monopoly game

Could be, in part. Wireless mikes are used BY the broadcasters, who naturally
know a lot better whether they risk interfering with anyone than do the drunken
fans at the ballgame.

See:

for an explanation.

To me, this whole white space thing has always seemed like fertile ground for
the most clueless to yell foul. The arguments in favor seem to revolve around
"only those who resist change don't want this spectrum used." A typical tactic
used by those who don't understand the subject matter to put the opposition on
the defensive. (Gee, where have we seen that stupid tactic used?)

Of course, I also don't care so much about wireless mikes at ballgames. But the
general subject matter is important. And that article showed how thoroughly
confused the arguments become.