[opendtv] Re: Google and Apple TV

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 08:52:58 -0700

Craig wrote:

"Near as I can tell, these apps are delivered via Apple's "walled garden"
App store, but all of the e-commerce takes place on the E-Bay web-site. In
other words, Apple is enabling e-commerce on the iPhone and gets NO
REVENUE, as the app is free.

"Maybe we need to re-examine the term "walled garden," or come up with a
better term for what Apple has done via the iOS ecosystem..."

I still think the term "walled garden" applies, even if Apple lets someone
plant their own flower in the garden.  Of course, the DNA of the plant must
match Apple's criteria, thus the walls.

Dan