[opendtv] Re: Google and Apple TV

  • From: Kilroy Hughes <Kilroy.Hughes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 00:13:18 +0000

Yes, E-Bay "volunteered" all the development, deployment, and marketing costs.
Apple didn't have to.
Both benefit because Apple makes most of its money selling atoms, not electrons.

Apple is relatively far behind on cloud services, other than music, so they
made a wise choice to cash in on hardware that benefits from other cloud
services (EBay, Web, Google search, 200K apps, most of which rely on cloud
data).  At some point, that will be a problem when they have to monetize and
monopolize the cloud, not just their device ecosystem.

Kilroy Hughes