[opendtv] Re: Google TV

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 16:13:10 -0800

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
"Turning a TV into a web browser is not going to solve the problem. We have
already seen how the first generation of Google TV crashed and burned
because they relied on crude third party GIU solutions to the TV
interface."

Bert wrote:
"On this point, I think you missed it completely. Google lost because they
tried to become an exclusive portal for TV content, and the TV networks
told them to go pound sand. And why shouldn't they?"

Craig, are you talking about the General User Interface (GUI) for GoogleTV?
I admit that it is clunky on most devices, but I don't think that is why
GoogleTV failed.  I think it is the fact that the media was blocked to that
basically killed GoogleTV's main function.

I'm not sure how Google TV tried to become an exclusive portal, but I do
know that the fact that one cannot stream media from regular websites that
are normally available to personal computers takes away the most important
feature of the GoogleTV.  Google responded with trying to provide their own
programming through things like Revue but that is not the programming that
was promised by the GoogleTV in the first place.

Personally, I find the blockage of programming to the GoogleTV appliance as
an afront to an open internet.  I am not sure why a device should make the
difference between whether I can see the programming or not.  If it is
available on the internet, it should be available.  So if they don't want
to deliver it because I am using a particular device, I simply won't watch
it; I'll basically boycott it.  I believe anyone that wants to erect a wall
builds their own prison.

Dan