[opendtv] Re: Google Fiber: We Don’t Do Paid Peering | Multichannel

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 00:34:57 +0000

Craig Birkmaier posted:

------------------------------------
http://multichannel.com/news/broadband/google-fiber-we-don-t-do-paid-peering/374711

. . .

“We give companies like Netflix and Akamai free access to space and power in
our facilities and they provide their own content servers. We don’t make money
from peering or colocation,” Burgan wrote.

. . .

ISPs that have avoided this scenario argue privately that providing free
colocation involves real costs and is a slippery slope, because it would then
force them to do the same for other OTT providers. Some ISPs, such as Mediacom
Communications, have taken a different tack by using “transparent” caches from
vendors like Qwilt that manage bandwidth without requiring single-purpose
caches from Netflix and others.

. . .
------------------------------------

However they make this happen, the ISPs must see that this approach benefits
them as much as it benefits the content owners. If people buy broadband, in the
"Netflix era," and buy ever faster speeds, surely the ISPs are clever enough to
understand that this is largely for streaming. And locating many mirrored
servers at the edges, owned by the content owners rather than the ISP, is
keeping the ISP's infrastructure costs to a minimum.

My thinking is that if we start seeing a lot of cable-company-like odd
behaviors from ISPs, and the FCC clamps down by classifying them under Title
II, or at least the infrastructure aspects under Title II, then the
"neutrality" mandate will mean that any content owner will be permitted to use
this scheme if they feel like it.

Craig, this is the new TV broadcaster network. The guy who owns a set of these
edge servers will certainly be free to allow anyone else to host their content
on the servers, just as broadcasters allow other TV content on their
subchannels now. Not EVERYONE has to be rich.