[opendtv] Re: Google Chromecast Lets You Stream Internet Video to Your TV for Just $35

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 11:20:12 -0400

On Jul 25, 2013, at 5:50 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I saw this on EE Times today. I'd say instead, both AppleTV and Chromcast are
> not all that interesting. AppleTV is in the pockets of the MVPDs, and limits
> your Internet TV sites so severely that I wouldn't even consider it.
> Chromcast is cool enough, and certainly the right price point, but why not
> just plug the PC into the TV via HDMI or RGB + audio? I suppose it's
> convenient for those who use laptops, and don't want to leave them plugged
> into the TV. Then again, the latter absolutely does not limit anyone on
> choice of browser, search engine, or anything else.

Apple TV has NOTHING to do with the MVPDs - at least for now. The only
connection is with ESPN and HBO Go, which are premium services that require
MVPD verification. The SAME would be true for Chromecast.

If you feel direct connection of a PC to the TV is the best for you, no
problem. But the vast majority of viewers are embracing mobile devices and the
ability to use them in conjunction with a TV is growing rapidly, even as
Microsoft abandons Windows Media Center.

> Except that if you want TV "cast" to your TV, then both Airplay and AppleTV
> are limiting.

Not sure how you can conclude this. I can link to any website that streams
video and cast it to Apple TV from my Macs, iPads and iPhones.

> ell, you know, it all depends how you structure these systems in your head.
> In my head, all I see is that companies like Google and Apple are finding
> solutions for getting Internet content to your TV set, when the TV
> manufacturers could just as easily have been building this in on their own.

Many are. And many services require MVPD verification; obviously you cannot
access the content on these services.

>> There are a bunch of stories about Chromecast available today. The consensus
>> is that Google may finally have gotten TV right.
>
> Because they don't attempt to wall anything in. The real story is, this is a
> really simple gadget that does what any PC can do without the gadget, and by
> the way why can't the CE companies have done likewise?

I think that the "real story" as you describe it is in YOUR HEAD. In my head, I
find using a tablet as the User Interface to be vastly superior to a Mac or PC
with keyboard and pointing device.