[opendtv] Re: Google Chromecast Lets You Stream Internet Video to Your TV for Just $35

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 21:50:26 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Yesterday Google announced the New Nexus7 Tablet, which is aimed squarely
> at Apple's iPad mini, at a significantly lower price point. But the trade
> press this morning is talking more about a $35 dongle for TVs with an
> HDMI port - Chromecast.
>
> In essence, after several failed attempts to gain access to the TV in the
> living room, Google is again following in Apple's footsteps. Unlike Apple
> TV, Chromecast is useless on its own.

I saw this on EE Times today. I'd say instead, both AppleTV and Chromcast are
not all that interesting. AppleTV is in the pockets of the MVPDs, and limits
your Internet TV sites so severely that I wouldn't even consider it. Chromcast
is cool enough, and certainly the right price point, but why not just plug the
PC into the TV via HDMI or RGB + audio? I suppose it's convenient for those who
use laptops, and don't want to leave them plugged into the TV. Then again, the
latter absolutely does not limit anyone on choice of browser, search engine, or
anything else.

> In essence, it acts like the Airplay feature of iOS and Apple TV, allowing
> a wide range of devices to "cast" what is on their screens to a TV with
> HDMI.

Except that if you want TV "cast" to your TV, then both Airplay and AppleTV are
limiting.

> This announcement confirms the trend toward the use of mobile devices to
> control the TVs in your home, and the growing reality that within a home,
> using wires to route bits is becoming an anachronism.

Well, you know, it all depends how you structure these systems in your head. In
my head, all I see is that companies like Google and Apple are finding
solutions for getting Internet content to your TV set, when the TV
manufacturers could just as easily have been building this in on their own.

> There are a bunch of stories about Chromecast available today. The consensus
> is that Google may finally have gotten TV right.

Because they don't attempt to wall anything in. The real story is, this is a
really simple gadget that does what any PC can do without the gadget, and by
the way why can't the CE companies have done likewise?