[opendtv] Re: Google And Verizon are Setting Our Public Internet Policy

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 18:51:15 -0500

Dale Kelly wrote:

> An email I received:
> It may be a little bit "over the top" but addresses the important issue
> of Net Neutrality, which we have discussed.
> Dale
>
> Something stunningly outrageous happened this week, when Google and
> Verizon announced they had reached a "deal" for the future of the
> internet. Since when is it the place of special interest corporations
> to determine what public policy should be?

Dale, I'm skeptical. It seems more like hype and bluster than anything
credible, to me. I don't see how any one company can make a "deal" with anyone,
including with the FCC, that would tie down "the Internet" to do their bidding.

Within their own domains, ISPs can exert some controls. But that's a far cry
from "the future of the Internet."

Sounds like the preposterous hype about "cloud computing," as if it were
something brand new. But it does remind me about the time when several
corporate interests tried to redefine the way (H)DTV was supposed to be
structured. And how (then FCC Chairman) Reed Hundt seemed to have been derailed
by that, for a few months anyway, and then regained his composure.