[opendtv] Re: Good free Windows MPEG2 HP decoder?

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 14:13:01 -0700

Glad to hear it John.

Just to give you a small example of what it can do:

I have used it for testing the output of my systems.  I take my UDP/IP
output of MPEG-2 transport stream packets and send it to a computer with
VLC.

On VLC, I tell it to convert the packets to DVB-ASI output, and then I test
that output using TS_Reader (and EtherGuide Ferret) on a third computer.

It's is about $1,000 (or more) cheaper than commercial software that does
the same thing.

If you get any commercial (real or potential) benefit out of it, you should
become an MPEG-LA license. If you don't decode video, that's $0.50 per unit;
if you decode video, it's $2.50.  Audio is www.vialicensing.org

John

From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Fri, 5 Oct 2007 09:41:36 -0700