[opendtv] Re: Good free Windows MPEG2 HP decoder?

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 08:21:44 -0700

No, because none exist.

Live output? Program stream or transport stream output?

What type of input?  DVB-ASI?  SMPTE-310? SDI? HD-SDI?

I'm going to assume that you are talking about file output and file input.

Try VLC (www.videolan) and ffmpeg.  No cost, but you may find that they can
be fashioned to suit your needs.

The MPEG-2 video license fee from MPEG-LA is $2.50 per unit.  Neither of
these apps have paid the fee.

TINSTAAFL.

I am not saying that either of these applications will enable you to
generate ATSC compliant transport streams, but you can do MPEG-2 compliant.

DVB-ASI input or output cards will cost you about $1,000 a pop.

In theory, with VLC, I can do this on my computer (two full duplex DVB-ASI
cards), but you will quickly find out that to do HD encoding, you will need
perhaps the most expensive personal computer you have ever heard of, or you
will be encoding from files to files.

Hth

John Willkie