[opendtv] Re: Good by to Leitch

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:04:06 -0700

Boy, that amount sounds low, considering that they paid $340 mm for Encoda a
few years back, and considering what Leitch has to offer, and the shape that
Encoda was in at the time.  Oddly enough, I had a call into a high-level
Leitch official today, but he wanted me to call back tomorrow, after their
annual general meeting is over.

I guess this means that the Ottawa Teacher's Union (the major investor in
Leitch) did the right thing a few years ago when they replaced upper
management; the dark side was favored for a long time, people putting their
bet on politics and not products and services.

Very interesting, on several levels Harris buying into processing.. I heard
at NAB that Harris no longer does sales calls on singletons -- entities that
own single stations.  Maybe they'll use this to cost-effectively sell to all
stations.

It means that Harris is still on an acquisition binge, perhaps the only
company still doing so in the field..  Not a bad thing in my mind, but I
have to pull my punches on this one: I'm a Harris partner.