[opendtv] Re: Global warming - was A Station Group with a Future

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 22:18:42 -0500

I should point out that I am considered the one NON atheist in my
family. I happen to think Atheism is sort of a religion also.

I don't know if there is a God much like you don't know if there is a
God. Some people believe there is a God others believe their is no
God. They rely on something called faith.

I don't happen to think that the "believing" part is all that
important. I definitely CAN'T believe in any God that plays gotcha
games like if you believe in me your saved. That sounds to me like a
more human power play concocted by humans to control other humans.

I could believe in a God who evolved me a brain and who expects me to
use it to the fullest. If that one exist I am in trouble.

As to our future. Neither of us know if we have one. You believe you
do and I don't know. If it helps you to believe great. It doesn't help
me. In fact I don't know how to turn belief on and off (not implying
you do). It seems to me that believing should come with common sense
and with common sense I get "I don't know".

A direct answer to your question. It is troubling to me to not know
the future. How is it for you? You don't know you have a future
either. You believe you do, you may believe strongly that you do, you
may be part of a large group that believes that they have a future but
that does not make it so.

And unfortunately even if a God exist and I end up in a heaven for all
eternity I will spend it wondering where they came from and what is it
all about anyway. God and eternity answer nothing.

But I would like to "believe" that consciousness creates strings and
not that consciousness is composed of strings if that helps. I am in
the I wanna believe something camp, it drives my wife and two
daughters crazy.

Bob Miller

On 2/12/07, Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I personally feel uncomfortable debating religion with most people.  I
hope it does not further polarize the list.

- Tom

Find my resume and video filters at www.trbarry.com