[opendtv] Re: Global warming - was A Station Group with a Future

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 22:26:18 -0500

Dale Kelly wrote:

Were the Eco system self regulating, as you believe, why
then would the earth not self regulate it's orbit as required?

Did I mention bacteria? They play a huge part too.

Just like any self-regulating system, the ecosystem has its limits of stable operation. Beyond that, it goes unstable.

So, for example, increase CO2 and plant life increases. Increase CO2 and simultaneously deforest everywhere, and after a point you're screwed.

Of course, I suppose one could make the argument that, as a
component of the Eco system, this is mans responsibility, assuming
he survives his current self inflicted dilemmas.....

I would argue more simply that if man isn't smart enough to do what is in his and her own self-interest, and moves the ecosystem too far from its ideal equilibrium point to support human life, too bad for us. We will become extinct, then the system will restore itself slowly. Other life forms which can adapt will win out. Cockroaches come to mind.