[opendtv] Re: Global standard

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 16:19:48 -0500

Mike Tsinberg wrote:

> Skype App bypasses Telco when WiFi connection is available.

True. And if Skype starts taking business away from their own telephone
service, watch how fast they will block it. I don't think we're quite to the
point where both sides of a Skype call have Skype constantly on, ready to
answer a call. Or for that matter, where both sides have Internet-based IM
constantly on, able to bypass the cellco texting charges.

But we are to the point where people can watch Internet TV on a regular basis.
So this is the action they going to want to control, is my bet. Apple in
particular has never had any problem controlling what apps they will or will
not permit on their hardware. Why should they get all permissive now?

Just as the other articles describe the MVPDs and TV manufacturers doing.