[opendtv] Re: Global standard

  • From: "Mike Tsinberg" <Mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 13:28:12 -0400

> 1. There is no reason in principle why cellco wireless TV should "not
> scale." *If* broadcasters are going to be deploying this LTE cellular
> net, then it can scale just as well as the cellco LTE can. For local
> games, the local cell nets would use this multicast/broadcast mode of
> LTE. Of course, there's nothing quite like true broadcast for scaling,
> however Craig has already indicated that the "linear model" is out.
> Therefore, he is assuming a two-way net like LTE, and not a true
> broadcast scheme, like ATSC or DVB-T2.

[Mike]
So this is a business not a technical issue for Cellco LTE.

> 2. "Cost prohibitive" to use cellco nets is just because cellcos want
> it to be that way, and a different broadcaster OTA infrastructure will
> not change this. Cellcos CONTROL handset design. Why should cellco nets
> permit cell phone manufacturers to support the TV frequency bands? They
> could permit ATSC M/H now, but they don't. And they won't support the
> TV frequency bands of an LTE net either. Why should they?

 [Mike] It's an interesting idea. I do not think Cellco's can mandate
features on Smart phones except specifics of modulation and conditional
access for their voice and data. After all App Store have more than 25,000
apps now for all kind of functionality. There is no control on iPhone
functionality outside Cellco direct connection.

> 4. The content owners, either local broadcasters or congloms, can
> already make whatever content they want available, over WiFi, white
> cloud or other color cloud, simply by allowing their stuff on the ISP
> nets of the area they want to cover.
>
> 5. I think 4G, or even the newer 3G nets, are plenty capable of
> carrying streaming video.

[Mike]
So this is also business not technical issue.

Best Regards,
Mike Tsinberg
http://keydigital.com