[opendtv] Re: Global standard

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 18:22:01 -0500

Mike Tsinberg wrote:

> Craig wrote
>>
>> Not really. The current mobile standard is a non starter. It is not
>> supported in the devices people are using.
>>
>> So YES, you can reach tablets via Wi-Fi connected to broadband, or
>> telco wireless, but the latter is cost prohibitive, and does not scale
>> to serve large numbers of viewers, as might be the case gameday, near
>> any College or NFL football stadium.
>>
>> Clearly there is a place (need) for wireless broadcast network to
>> complement telco wireless data services.
>
> Where are so called "white cloud" WiFi proposals? Is it technical or
> business issue?
> Also 4G seems quite capable of data speeds more than 100 Mb/s. So
> sending video to mobile 4G devices is technical or business issue?

My responses to you and Craig are:

1. There is no reason in principle why cellco wireless TV should "not scale."
*If* broadcasters are going to be deploying this LTE cellular net, then it can
scale just as well as the cellco LTE can. For local games, the local cell nets
would use this multicast/broadcast mode of LTE. Of course, there's nothing
quite like true broadcast for scaling, however Craig has already indicated that
the "linear model" is out. Therefore, he is assuming a two-way net like LTE,
and not a true broadcast scheme, like ATSC or DVB-T2.

2. "Cost prohibitive" to use cellco nets is just because cellcos want it to be
that way, and a different broadcaster OTA infrastructure will not change this.
Cellcos CONTROL handset design. Why should cellco nets permit cell phone
manufacturers to support the TV frequency bands? They could permit ATSC M/H
now, but they don't. And they won't support the TV frequency bands of an LTE
net either. Why should they?

4. The content owners, either local broadcasters or congloms, can already make
whatever content they want available, over WiFi, white cloud or other color
cloud, simply by allowing their stuff on the ISP nets of the area they want to
cover.

5. I think 4G, or even the newer 3G nets, are plenty capable of carrying
streaming video.