[opendtv] Re: Global Temperature Trends: 2007 Summation

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 04:17:37 -0500

At 3:43 PM -0800 11/4/08, Dale Kelly wrote:
Global Temperature Trends: 2007 Summation
The year 2007 tied for second warmest in the period of instrumental data,
behind the record warmth of 2005, in the Goddard Institute for Space Studies
(GISS) analysis. 2007 tied 1998, which had leapt a remarkable 0.2°C above
the prior record with the help of the "El Niño of the century". The unusual
warmth in 2007 is noteworthy because it occurs at a time when solar
irradiance is at a minimum and the equatorial Pacific Ocean is in the cool
phase of its natural El Niño-La Niña cycle.
Figure 1 shows 2007 temperature anomalies relative to the 1951-1980 base
period mean. The global mean temperature anomaly, 0.57°C (about 1°F) warmer
than the 1951-1980 mean, continues the strong warming trend of the past
thirty years that has been confidently attributed to the effect of
increasing human-made greenhouse gases (GHGs) (Hansen et al. 2007
<http://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/abstracts/2007/Hansen_etal_1.html>). The eight
warmest years in the GISS record have all occurred since 1998, and the 14
warmest years in the record have all occurred since 1990.

Thanks Dale.

So it all boils down to how reliable you believe the GISS data is.

I for one have serious questions about the data. I suspect however, that we have not heard the last about Global Climate Change, now that "change" is in fashion.