[opendtv] Re: Getting From 59.94 to 60

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 12:39:39 -0400

At 8:03 AM -0700 4/1/11, dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Cliff wrote:

"This was done in 1953 because RCA was overly concerned about the
appearance of a 920 kHz beat pattern in pictures on early, pre-color B&W
TV sets. Not a color set problem, a B&W set problem!

"Editing, timecode and standards conversion would have been much easier
if the color subcarrier frequency had been left at its initial frequency
of 3.583125 mHz because H would still be 15,750 and V would still be 60."

It amazes me that we can't get to 60 hz with the current state of technology. I tried to get there when we built our new facility from the ground up. It didn't work out. Most of the equipment can handle 60 HZ but there were two critical pieces that we could not get to work at that rate. So, we dialed everything back to 59.94 and we're stuck there today.

Dan

This should have happened as part of the DTV transition. Actually the frame rates should have been 24/36/72 as we proposed in 1992.

Unfortunately, the powers to be saw interlace and 59.94 as barriers to competition for the computer industry, That didn't work out for them either...