[opendtv] Get rid of Interlaced Media?

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 09:27:19 -0800

I have been working on a project that requires transforming our interlaced
video into MPEG-2 files.  I know I'm stating the obvious, but compressed
interlaced media looks much worse than progressive pictures in the MPEG-2
format no matter what encoding program I use.  And de-interlacing the video
makes it much worse.  When all the planning went into the ATSC formats, was
the way the formats would be compressed and the resulting quality ever
considered?

With the way display technology and compression processing is developing,
is it possible to get rid of interlaced media in the near future, or are
there other functions to consider?  I suppose the only way to get rid of
the interlaced media these days is produce in 720p.  Is it reasonable to
produce in 1080 30p (if you aren't doing sports)?  I don't see enough
production technology yet to produce completely in 1080 60p.

In the mean time, is there any way to deal with interlaced video in the
ATSC and MPEG world?

By the way, whatever the free Windows Media Encoder does to de-interlace
the video, it works much better than the dozens of other encoder software
I've tried that cost $60 to $2000.  Perhaps the AVC helps.

Dan Grimes