[opendtv] Re: Gadget Patrol: 21st century phone

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 17:59:59 -0500

I have a couple of comments on the Charlieblog piece.

The first is that building out a 3G or 4G network with broadband access
everywhere costs money. So walled or unwalled, the wireless broadband ISP (if
you will) will have to charge accordingly. You have to see where most of the
subscriber fees are going. My bet is that they are going to things that won't
decrease when the system becomes unwalled. You might achieve gains from not
having as many overlapping systems, but the single system would then require
smaller cell sizes to handle all the traffic.

This is not much different from the cable a la carte argument. Even if you
charge a la carte, don't expect the price of a cable connection to go down on
average.

The other point is that VoIP *already* uses DNS. The phone number is used as if
it were a name. The advantage of phone numbers, of course, is that you can
enter them with a keypad instead of a keyboard. But in VoIP, that number is
just a name, and it is translated into an IP address. If both sides of the
connection are VoIP systems, the phone number is use exclusively as a name,
throught the path.

In principle, phone numbers could be changed to alphanumeric names with this
scheme, if both sides are VoIP, but I'm not so sure people would prefer such a
scheme.