[opendtv] Re: [Fwd: Re: Re: Math of oversampling - corrected links

  • From: Jeroen Stessen <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 11:51:45 +0200

Hello,

Dale Kelly wrote:
> The 1080P image appears to contain significant "interlace" type
artifacts.

This may well be an artefact from conversion from .bmp to .jpeg .

The original picture was a .jpeg, with properties that I can not seem
to extract. I've then cropped it to 1920x1080 and saved it as .jpeg
again (with a mild compression factor, as we all have broadband internet).

Conversion to .jpeg always gives considerable loss, even when it is
"lossless", because the YCbCr components make less efficient use of the
3x 8-bits code space than the original RGB components did.
So we can expect quantisation errors from RGB->YCbCr->RGB conversions.
But that does not explain what we are seeing here.

I know that I have selected sub-sampling ("4:2:0" in video terms) of
the CbCr chroma components this time. This is certainly suspicious.
For the resolution-reduced images this will be less critical.

The visibility of the artefacts from chroma down- and up-sampling
depends on the respective algorithms for down- and up-sampling.
It may be that different image viewers use slightly different algorithms
for up-conversion back to 4:4:4, so that we are not all seeing the same
artefacts ! I know that our pfspd viewers deliberately use pixel
repetition "to see what's in the file", where a filter would be advised.

If you say "interlace" type artifacts, it could also be that you are
referring to sampling artefacts in general. Those slanted white lines
have been made by somebody applying a rotation algorithm to an
originally rectangular image. This requires a sample-rate conversion
operation, and we don't know which kind of filter he/she has used.
It may have been the standard bicubic interpolator, which may give
some more sampling artefacts than my own choice of polyphase filter.
These artefacts will disappear by subsequent down-sampling with a
better filter, which then dominates because of its lower bandwidth.

Remember that pure progressive images can have as many sampling
artefacts as interlaced images. (Interlacing is over-sampling, I say.)

Regards,
-- Jeroen

| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen   | E-mail:  Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven  | Deptmt.: Philips Applied Technologies |
| Phone:    ++31.40.2732739     | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2 |
| Mobile:   ++31.6.44680021     | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands |