[opendtv] Re: [Fwd: RE: [oldvtrs] So Much for HDTV]

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 16:10:06 -0400

Dan Grimes wrote:

> But for the analog picture, there is little detail on the
> water and mainly a blur, especially around the splashing
> swimmers.  The ball disappears on the wide shot when someone
> throws for the goal.  It is all clearly compression artifacts.

Oooooh. You're talking about some cable system's analog tier here. I
thought you were describing the HDTV image, since Cliff and Craig had
been talking about the HD artifacts, and was surprised that it looked so
lousy in LV.

I didn't watch water polo, but the HD from the Water Cube site looks
fabulous to me. Every drop of water on every strand of hair is clearly
visible.