[opendtv] Re: Fwd: {Disarmed} [Fwd: {Disarmed} [cbaloop] LPTV Industry Files Suit Today To Stop Distribution of Illegal DTV Converter Boxes]

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 21:42:01 -0400

It would seem to me that the very fact the lptv stations do not currently have must-carry shows law and precedent for treating them as less than full stations, with less than full rights of protection.

Meanwhile, the digital TV transition is not exactly a well kept secret or a surprise to folks in the TV business. I'm not a lawyer but would be very surprised if the lptv folks prevailed in this and managed to get either more must-carry rights or any sort of delay in the transition for everybody else.

Though I do think ATSC converter manufacturers should be strongly encouraged to include written instructions about scenarios for using an A/B switch or VCR to optionally select analog reception as needed. These same should also be offered on the coupon web site.

- Tom

John Willkie wrote:
As long as John Dingell is in office and holds his chairmanship, there is zero possibility that must-carry will be extended to lptv. And, if that’s what they really want, then this filing is a cynical ploy.

As for “merit” writs of mandamus fail if there is the slightest amount of discretion in the law and the court rulings that interpret it. Remember the FCC approving a single-channel TV set? That was appealed, and the FCC won. “All Channel” notwithstanding.