[opendtv] Re: Fwd: DAB+ in the USA

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:58:20 -0400

Barry Wilkins wrote:

> Erm, it is April 1st so perhaps it is "some kind of joke"

Could be. Probably is.

I couldn't figure out, again, why DAB would make FOTA radio any more
appealing than IBOC does. It's another one of those modulation debates.
If anything, you'd expect the other way around. IBOC makes for a trivial
transition, whereas DAB requires new frequency assignments just like DTT
does.

I don't know how well IBOC is selling, but I still hear it advertized
extensively on radio, and I happen to like it a lot. All it takes is for
more auto companies to install it, as some have started to do at last.
And here too, companies like GM with a stake in XM Radio will probably
be slow to install IBOC. Same-o same-o. Always these conflicts of
interest and greed at play.