[opendtv] Re: Fw: Toshiba Demos Glasses-Free Simultaneous 2D/3D LCD Display

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:34:24 -0500

Tom McMahon posted:

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/toshiba_demos_glasses-free_simultaneo
us_2d_3d_lcd_display/?utm_source=eh
<http://www.electronichouse.com/article/toshiba_demos_glasses-free_simultane
ous_2d_3d_lcd_display/?utm_source=eh&utm_medium=rp> &utm_medium=rp

Seems conceptually similar to the lenticular 3D cards.

Two comments:

"The 2D images retain full resolution, while 3D image resolution is cut back to
466 x 350."

Booo hiss.

"One of the neatest tricks is, when turning the GRIN lens partially on, the
panel can simultaneously display 3D and 2D imagery. It's not clear if this
means the nine 3D zones can see 3D while the others see sharp 2D, or if there's
some other arrangement, but this a very interesting capability."

Perhaps, but this quote reminded me of a memorable salesman experience my wife
an I had years ago. We were looking at one of those truly awful NTSC rear
projection TVs, at a store. (They were all really bad news, as far as I'm
concerned. Way too big an image for NTSC.)

One salesman handed us over to another salesman, saying this guy had a "really
neat trick." The "really neat trick" was to badly misalign the three color
guns, so the imnage had atrocious color ghosting.

Then he told us that many customers thought this gave a 3D effect.

Yuk!