[opendtv] Fw: Re: SINCLAIR TO AIR "A POW STORY: POLITICS, PRESSUREAND THE MEDIA"

  • From: "Nick Kocsis" <kocsis_nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 20:14:10 -0400

Hey guys!   Lighten up!   This thread is overwhelming my mail box.

Sinclair is obviously touting this program as a history lesson directed at
the electorate.   Others would characterize it as a last ditch attempt by a
Republican leaning Sinclair to tilt the direction of an obviously close
election.  In either case, if the election is as close as the last one,
observant Canadians will die laughing at the claim of American democracy in
action in a $2 billion propaganda effort by both parties in getting media
attention.

I am hoping against hope that the Sinclair program will not ignore the
events of  Mei Lai in Vietnam and the stupidity of the recording of the
abuses at Abu Garab.   I have lived long enough to know that atrocities
occur on both sides of the battlefield.  I have had veterans of WW2 give me
first hand accounts of the torture and killing of 15 year old Germans in SS
uniforms by Canadians and the liberation of Dutch women during the
liberation of Holland described to me by post war Dutch immigrants.

The aweful truth is that war is 'hell' and none of us should forget this.
A decorated American veteran friend of ours was wounded in the early days of
the Normandy invasion.   His medals were never on display and his family
always maintained that he never spoke of his war experiences.  I believe
that this is the experience of many war veterans.

The question becomes "is it patriotic to repress the memories of the horrors
of war" (my country right or wrong)?

I think that the universal answer is a resounding "YES" (it is patriotic)!
To think otherwise is to be weak (but not my position).  I will give you an
example of what I am talking about at the risk of raising the ire of our
readers.

As a practising and committed Roman Catholic I am appalled by the events in
the Catholic diocese of Boston where the bishop knowingly covered up sexual
abuse cases by parish priests.   I would be curious to know whether John
Kerry or any of the Kennedys were ever aware of this situation and failed to
vote their conscience unlike their expose of Vietnam?

I am fed up by family members calling me a 'bad Catholic' for holding the
views that I do of those in authority that suppress the truth.   It does not
in any sense diminish my faith in the 'renaissance' of my own church but
strengthens it.

An American patriot is not one who suppresses the truth but is one made
stronger by acknowledging the truth.   Mr. Bush cannot in any way
acknowledge the truth nor can the American people accept the truth.   Being
led to war in the aftermath of 9/11 is not unlike Hitler's leading Germany
into war in 1938 to redress the grievances of an unjust peace imposed on
Germany in the aftermath of  WW One.

We can only hope that the Sinclair program will win a Palme D'or like
Michael Moore did with Fahrenheit 9/11.   If not, better to run Leni
Reifenstahl's "Triumph of the Will" at the risk of being labelled a
'neo-nazi'.    I would suggest changing the title to "Staying The Course".

Please!  Please!   Let's get off of this diabolical thread !