[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:48:49 -0400

Bob Miller wrote:

> Same in Berlin, the success of OTA initially allowed them
> to proceed with their plan to turn off analog in the first
> year. You make is sound as if the turn off of analog was
> the reason they were successful.

With such a compressed time schedule, it's a little hard to
determine what is the cart and what is the horse. But in
short, yes, had the hard deadline not been set at the
beginning, I believe the Berlin transition would have
lingered for eons. OTA use was dwindling fast, according to
their report, and interest in DTT (i.e STB sales) really
picked up only in the last month of 12-channel analog
service. Then again when before they shut off their
remaining 6 analog channels.

Probably a combination of things. The hard date forced OTA
users to buy the boxes, and the nice digital programming
encouraged others to join in when success stories were told.
And there was also a huge media blitz about DTT.

The other interesting fact is that most of the STB sales,
at least in the original report, were to those who could
receive the signal indoors. The vast majority was to
households inside that 12-14 mile radius of the towers.