[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:59:22 -0400

Frank Eory wrote:

> I believe that a "multiple markets" product strategy that
> is fundamentally based on one product (save software
> differences and minor hardware differences) would make
> financial sense. "Piggy backing" the R&D into volume sales
> is everything.

Yes, this would be the ideal. But we all know that when it
comes to TV in general, people seem to completely lose their
common sense. Creating different standards around the world
becomes their passion. It's always been that way. NTSC, PAL,
SECAM, and all manner of variations of *each* of these, and
look at the madness that was created with DVD regions.

And if anything, things are getting worse rather than better.
Digital radio seems to be headed in the same direction. So I
really fail to see why we should suddenly become so indignant
about this one modulation difference. (Not saying you're one
of those who is becoming indignant.)

> A single TV broadcaster -- even with multicasting -- cannot
> offer real competition to the cable/DBS multichannel
> packages.

I agree that the multichannel providers are not seriously
threatened by OTA in the US, or in Germany and the Benelux
countries, for that matter. However, as long as the govt has
a policy of retaining FTA TV, and a policy of freeing up some
RF spectrum, implementing a viable transition policy makes
sense. Besides which, the 15+ percent of households relying
on OTA might increase somewhat with DTT, as it apparently did
in Berlin, and that 15+ percent is still a reasonably large
number of households.